Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Swag.

Swag. ""Stuff we all get."

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time studying up on the whole swag concept.

I read blog posts that brainstormed ideas, and found everything from boring and trite to useful and unique. So, what are people using for swag these days? It seems like if there's a way to customize it and give it to someone, someone is giving it away. There are pens, notebooks, candies, mints, mirrors, and squishy stress balls. You can give away coffee mugs, water cups, post-it notes, posters, bumper stickers, or t-shirts.

In the author scene, the busy little mini-world made up of those (like me) who spend their time back and forth between reading books and writing them, there are bookmarks, cover flats, bookplates, stickers, even temporary tattoos!

But what really got my attention was the idea of trading cards. How many of you collect them, trade them, make them, sell them? Keep them?

How many of you remember them - the Topps craze from earlier days when every kid had boxes and boxes of baseball cards, basketball cards, or football and soccer cards? Or in more recent years, Pokemon cards and things like that?

Would you keep romance trading cards? Would you want to trade them? And what other swag would you want, if you knew that your favorite author was making up a swag prize kit? In the comments, give me your opinions on the subject, and tell me all about your favorite swag!

2 comments:

  1. I'd want to be able to ask a question about how the author came up with their story, plot line or where their character came from- and then to get the answer handwritten in a card from them- that would be awesome. Also, I'm always short of bookmarks.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea at all!! The card thing sounds fun! In the meantime, I've been working with my designer on the idea of bookmarks, and have also been playing with the idea of a trading card game, something to play with fb fans. Would that be something you were interested in, were it to be implemented?

      Delete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!

REAL CHARACTERS. HONEST LOVE. BRANDI KENNEDY BOOKS.