Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Journey, So Far

I can't believe how much my life has changed in the past 4-5 months.
In December, I was literally nauseated with terror as I clicked "publish" on Amazon's KDP.
It literally nauseated me to release To Love A Selkie into the world, knowing that by publishing, I'd put myself "out there" for all the world to see. For all the world to love, or despise. I'm not sure I'll ever forget the moment, that exhausting mixture of pride and terror.
In that moment, for better or worse, I became an author.

A published author.

And it was the most terrifying, exhilarating, happy, miserable moment of my life.
To Love A Selkie was not only my first novel, it was also my first touch on any sort of legendary/fantasy plot line. It was totally and completely new to me in every way, and I treasure that experience incredibly deeply.

I watched reviews come in on amazon, reviews from people that I knew, and ones from people that I didn't, both good and bad. Some people liked Annie, some didn't. Some people liked Malik, some didn't.
Some liked that I followed the traditional Selkie legends.
Some didn't.

What none of them knew, because I was a new author and didn't think to say so, was that To Love A Selkie is really Selkie Part I. And had I been more experienced, I'd have held onto it and done it as one book instead of a two-book thing.

I'm learning.

In the meantime, I was growing more and more terrified of the writing world. Reviews on a book with a cliffhanger aren't always sweet and cuddly. They are less so when there is virtually no mention of more to come. Still, I made new friends through me efforts to reach out. I met new people. I had new ideas. I met Cass Keaton, in the quiet place in the back of my imagination. And I plowed right into her story, letting her feelings and her thoughts flow out of me.

And she is loved.
I'm still learning.

Now I've tasted the bitterness of a work that is not (yet) widely loved, and felt the disappointment of a character whose story is not well understood. Annie will have her chance.
The rest of her story is yet to come.

But I've also tasted the sweet success of a great character, the success of a great story
(that actually happened somewhat by accident).

And now, I'm preparing to take another bite.
I sure hope it's sweet.

Prescription For Love,
Book Two of The Kingsley Series
coming to a Kindle near you.
April 20, 2013.


2 comments:

  1. We all live and learn from our mistakes, cry and jump for joy as our hearts are cracked open for everyone to see. We let our creativity and imagination speak for us when we're too shy to raise our voices above a whisper.We are artists, lovers, perfectionists, dreamers, idealists. We are mothers, wives, sisters.

    We are authors...

    and we're damn proud of it! Congratulations on taking the step from dreams into reality by publishing Selkie. Love you Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! I have not regretted one second of any of it. Much of that is due to other authors like you who have taken me in and taught me so much of what I know now. Much love to you, too.

      Delete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!

REAL CHARACTERS. HONEST LOVE. BRANDI KENNEDY BOOKS.