Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Twenty Questions, Part III


*****
Alright, here we are, and this time, I'm determined to answer the rest of the twenty questions!!
So without further ado ...

Be aware that we're apparently starting the day with an immature little giggle.

13. Am I the only one struggling not to {fart} during {yoga}?
Hehehe ... okay I'm done now.
This is another of those bracket questions where we can replace what's in the brackets with whatever we choose to substitute, and then contemplate whatever uncomfortable scenario we come up with.

Either way, the answer is, "No, I am not the only one."

14. What do I love to practice?
 This one's pretty easy ... the main thing I spend time practicing, other than washing dishes and re-making ponytails, is writing. My picprompts are "practice," and it's surprisingly difficult to come up with a unique story that's just the right length for a blog post almost every week. Sometimes I take it east on myself and write poetry instead, but that's practice too, as it's an entirely different type of writing. My newsletter is practice too; a few short articles written by myself, sometimes using personal thought/experience and other times using a prompt I find online or from a friend or fan. There's even a suggestion box in the newsletter where people can write to me and suggest newsletter topics. Between the picprompts, the newsletter, and my novels, I think it's obvious to anyone who knows anything about me how much I love to "practice" writing.

You know, kinda similar to how doctors "practice" medicine.

15. Where could I work less and achieve more?
For me, this is about being more productive and less scattered. I tend to be a somewhat flighty person, and so that's how my writing work schedule looks too. Some days, I write thousands of words on my current project, other days I spend almost exclusively blogging and setting up future posts. Some days I work only on newsletter articles, sometimes I put my focus toward preparing guest posts, etc. Other days, I look at my computer, sigh, and decide to ignore it for a day or a week or whatever time it take for my muse to be rested and come back.

But I have noticed that on days when I can set myself a schedule and follow it, I really am much more productive ... if only I could consistently follow a schedule, which would be nice because:


16. How can I keep myself absolutely safe?
Well, the honest answer to this is that we can't ever be completely, absolutely safe. And the thing is, who would want to be? In protecting yourself too completely from pain and risk, you also effectively block yourself from any shot at success and victory.

17. Where should I break the rules?
I think this really depends on the rule, the people and the situation. I am by nature a rule-follower and I'm not one to rock the boat. But if I'm driving a car with someone in it that's dying, you can bet I'm going to be speeding and I might not stop if someone tries to pull me over. The rules of our society are in place to keep us mostly safe from each other and from those who are not inherently kind and considerate people, from the thugs and the thieves and the murderers. But there are times when the situation calls for some rule-breaking and there are definitely times when the end justifies the means.

18. So say I lived in that fabulous house in Tuscany, with untold wealth, a gorgeous, adoring mate, and a full staff of servants ... then what?
Hmm. Then I'd celebrate finally having gotten there. Every day for the rest of my life. But I'd also invest like you couldn't believe, so that I'd know my children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren (and so on) would never know the poverty that I grew up in. I'd have a dozen cars because I've had so many times in my life that we literally had no car, or our only car was broken down, and I'd like to know that could never happen again. I'd take other measures too ... but mainly, I'd celebrate because:


19. Are my thoughts hurting or healing?
This is a loaded question for any of us, isn't it? So often, we can sink so far into resentment or anger that we really start to lash out in uncontrollable ways. Too often, we're lashing out at people who never even deserve our wrath, simply because we've become so angry that it's bubbling out everywhere. Our thoughts do have an immense power over who we become and how we behave ... it's important for us to live each day mindfully, attending to our emotions in healthy ways. For me, when I'm angry or feeling something that I know could become hurtful to others, I allow myself to unleash that poison in a harmless way.

Like Annie did in Selkie, I sit down and write letters to people frequently. Sometimes they are freakishly adoring, other times they are so fearfully angry that I'm thankful no one ever sees them. I unleash passion, power, rage, fantasies, everything, and I do it with complete freedom. However horrible or mean or scary or whatever, in those letters, in those letters I am allowed to say whatever I want. And then, I throw them away or even burn them. I find that giving myself the freedom to express in that way takes the weight off my chest, without piling it on someone else's, and it allows me to keep my thoughts clear.

20. Really truly: Is this what I want to be doing?
Yes. One hundred percent. The way my life has changed since I took my first trembling steps into the indie writing world ... I wouldn't go back for anything. Writing, reaching out to the world in this way and being able to touch people with the power of my words and my characters ... yeah, it's exactly what I want to be doing.

*****

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!

REAL CHARACTERS. HONEST LOVE. BRANDI KENNEDY BOOKS.