Friday, January 27, 2017

Friday Fantasy: My Happy Place


"The soul needs a happy place; let me introduce you to mine." (Click to Tweet!)

Edited to clarify: There seems to be some confusion in the comments - people are reading this and thinking that this post is what my life looks like. It's not. It's a fantasy - it's a wish, a mental place of happiness, a visualization. Someday, I hope to see it all in real life, but until then, it remains only a fantasy.

It's morning - everything is draped in filtered sunlight as I make my way through the house. I've been awake now for an hour, maybe 90 minutes, and the house is quiet. Peaceful.

I'm not sure where my girls are, but they must be grown up and gone; I feel nothing but peace despite their absence. The smell of fresh coffee reaches me, wafting toward me from the kitchen, and I run my fingers through hair still wet from the shower. The movement releases fragrance from my skin, and I smile to myself, remembering the long-gone years of my life as a ''low-maintenance" woman. There is a sense of satisfaction, a sense of completeness, which confirms to me that my children have grown. I walk past an empty bedroom, shaking my head ruefully, remembering ... something.

In the kitchen, the coffee is steaming prettily beneath the brewer; I add cream and sugar, listening to the sounds of my own movements as the world outside awakens. Birds begin to chirp in the backyard outside the kitchen window, and I watch them flitting back and forth - seeking their breakfast as I seek mine.

Within another half hour, my coffee, my breakfast, my laptop, and I are safely and peacefully settled on the back patio. I spear a strawberry, enjoying the sight of my dog frolicking in the yard. He's old now, and he doesn't frolic quite as enthusiastically as he once did ... but the smidgen of puppyhood that remains in his spirit sends him sniffing through the yard, following nose on trails neither of us can see.

He makes his way through the yard as I finish my breakfast - by the time my fruit is gone and my toast is only remembered by the crumbs on my plate and the lingering hint of cinnamon on my tongue, I've opened the laptop and started to work. By the time I break to head inside, retreating from the rising sun, the dog has found his place at my feet.

But before I close the door on this, before I make my way to a cozy couch in a clean, comfortably welcoming living room, I turn back to survey what I've worked so hard for:

  • A yard of my own, which will need endless mowing soon, but that's alright.
  • A garden, shriveled and sad from the ravages of winter, but already showing signs of hope for the summer to come.
  • A deck that I build with my own hands, fit to my own design and created to my specifications (With a contractor's supervision, of course. I didn't work this hard to get here and die on a faulty deck.), made ever more beautiful by the potted plants and the outdoor furniture.
This is the place I retreat to when I need peace, when I need solitude. Always, this place, this wooden deck on the back of a cozy little house, this sun-filled expanse of contentment. It feels happy, confident, satisfied. It feels ... mine.


Questions for the Comments Section:
  • Do you have a happy place in your mind, a place you retreat to when you need a place to escape, or simply a place that's all your own?
  • If you do, show me around. Tell me about your place in the comments.

62 comments:

  1. What a wonderful read! I wish my mornings were as peaceful and relaxing as this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! So do I - that's why it's a fantasy. But I'm determined that one day, this will be my life!

      Delete
  2. Really nice read and wonderful writing :) my mornings are usual filled with coffee (I see yours is too) writing and gaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you liked the post! Coffee is such a wonderful thing, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I love this. Our yard looks pretty brown at the moment but we're working on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our real-life yard is pretty brown right now too - East Tennessee has had a terrible drought and all of our beautiful colors suffered for it. What didn't burn through the drought in fires died off pretty pitifully. We've been getting lots of precipitation over the winter though, which has been nice even if so little of it came as snow.

      Delete
  4. I wish my mornings were as good and peaceful as this! Usually it's not, but this is very good! :)
    Great post. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish mine were too. This is the fantasy morning for me - thus the reason it's my happy place. I like that at any point during the day, no matter what's going on, I can visualize this and put myself back into the ideal morning, which is sort of like giving myself another chance to start the day over.

      Delete
  5. oh my I so wish my mornings were like that with 6 kids you can only imagine what mine are like especially school day ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure! I only have two, and life is pretty crazy for me sometimes. I can't imagine if there were more!

      Delete
  6. Lovely I wish my mornings will be as peaceful and refreshing. I love the backyard. We are planning to move soon and I hope I have a such backyard soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I want lots of green in my someday backyard, and lots of great plants!

      Delete
  7. Lovely!, you really gave me a beautiful vision of your morning. I've always wanted a garden, hopefully one day I'll have one of my own. Awesome Read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post!! i hope my mornings be so lovely and refreshing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My happy place is the beach. I spend my summers there and retreat there in my mind when I can't actually be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I do that now and then too, especially in the summertime when I'm soaking up the sun but missing the smell of salt in the air and the sound of waves crashing. Sometimes if I lay out in the yard with my eyes closed, I can almost imagine it strongly enough to feel like I'm there.

      I can't decide if that makes me happy or sad though. I'm sure you can relate.

      Delete
  10. This is such a beautiful entry to read! So much positivity in the morning. I think it's amazing to have built those things on your own, you feel more accomplished and content. It's an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish my mornings were so refreshing, but I've got a long way to go for that. Beautiful backyard is a great place for serenity.
    Katja xxx
    www.katnapped.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I wish my mornings were that refreshing too! It's just my happy place, a fantasy - a visualization.

      Delete
  12. This post made me think about where I would say my happy places are. Probably the quiet time I have when everyone else is not around and I have time to think and dream. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely a happy place for me too. I need time alone to be in my own thoughts and to feel like my space is my own. I don't get that often, so I treasure it when it comes my way.

      Delete
  13. What relaxation! We have a lot of land that needs mowing too! Sometimes I like to soak it in and merely enjoy the life of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be glad when I get to that place in my life.

      Delete
  14. I have a happy place in my mind when I'm struggling with sleep. I think of a beach house with a huge garden and palm trees. Get's me sleeping fast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sure is nice to have your own happy place where you can just BE. Thanks for welcoming us to yours and here's to more peaceful days like this.

    KatrinaJeanCarter.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to making this little vision of mine a reality someday.

      Delete
  16. I definitely have a happy place where I go. I definitely have too much on my mind most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My happy place is an empty field that I can just lay in and watch the clouds. Get lost in my own thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, its a nice place to go. I often go my future wine cellar thats surrounded by beautiful bottles of wine, walls covered with wine crate covers and lit by my Murano chandeliers. I walk out glass in hand to my library covered in maps and three walls of books floor to ceiling that looks out onto my own serene garden with flowers I planted and a few Japanese maples over a trickling pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you got that it's just a fantasy for me right now, and that it isn't real yet. Thank you.

      Delete
  19. My happy place is at the lake. Just sitting back enjoying nature in all it's glory. Letting my thoughts wander off into a place of their own. I need to visit this place more often than not to keep my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  20. my happy place is writing and music. I enjoyed hearing about yours

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH man. My happy place is in my bed on Saturday mornings and hearing my husband making the coffee! Yeah buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could go for that. Nothing like knowing there's a sexy man in the kitchen who knows exactly how you like your coffee!

      Delete
  22. What a lovely happy place and one you've built with your own two hands as well. I would be proud. I think it's awesome to have a place that gives you non-stop good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday, when I have finally built this, I will DEFINTELY be proud. It has been a little dream in my heart for a very long time.

      Delete
  23. That's a lovely happy place! It's amazing that you built it too!!

    https://lovekimber.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I totally do the happy place thing too. I have a lot of anxiety issues, and picturing my happy place is pretty much the only way I fall asleep at night. Yours sounds absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's part of why I do it, too. I've talked here about my struggles with CPTSD, Depression and Anxiety ... visualization is a major thing for me when I'm really stressed, and sometimes that's the best way for me to get away from whatever I'm dealing with in a way that's not obvious to the people around me.

      Delete
  25. Our happy place is wherever we are together. As travellers and minimalists we dont have a lot that is ours, or a place to call home. We've got use to calling eachother home. "Home is wherever I am with you"

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoy reading this post! It sounds so dreamy and happy. My mornings are pretty much quiet and relaxing. Can't wait for Spring so that I could spend some time outside working in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, gardening - my "other" happy place. I imagine someday when I'm living in the home described in my post, I'll have a beautiful garden to spend time in. I'd like very much to have a nice mix of edibles and pretty things growing around my home.

      Delete
  27. What a good post and I enjoy this. You had a good writing Glad thta you share this inspiration with us

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like my mornings to be quiet with a coffee and my laptop on the couch with some classic music. After around 20 mins I am able to communicate with humans then haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 20 minutes? I take so long - I need at least an hour before people expect me to be able to be nice. The hard thing for me about being that way though, is that my kids always wake up AWAKE! So we clash in the mornings, with them trying hard to be quiet for me, and me trying hard to tolerate the noise they can't help making.

      Delete
  29. Ahhhh nothing better than a peaceful morning!!! Yes part about school days for me! I get a few minutes to my self before I tackle the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I like it. Mornings are hectic for my family (especially school day mornings), so I really enjoy the moments after my family is gone from the house and I can sit back to enjoy the quiet.

      Delete
  30. Having coffee on your table and a good view and relaxing music can set up a good mood. It nice to have this every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have that. I'm looking forward to the days when my life will really look the way I described it in my post.

      Delete
  31. We have access to the roof over our building. It is especially nice to sit there in the quiet mornings with a hot cup off coffee and just my thoughts. It is so peaceful and seeing the birds rise and on the move is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an amazing place to spend some time journaling, watching the sun come up!

      Delete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!

REAL CHARACTERS. HONEST LOVE. BRANDI KENNEDY BOOKS.