Saturday, January 7, 2017

Saturday Spectacular: Pin Round-Up!

In the past, I've been mostly pretty quiet about sharing my social media stuff and asking for followers because no matter how many times people tell me that it's necessary for good marketing, I still feel like it's cheesy and gross. However, I'm not totally against linking my various accounts if they come up in a post, such as when I talk about something that happened on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram (see what I did there? Slick, huh?), and I also have a page here on my site that does list all of my social media accounts regardless of how sporadically I might be using them.

But I don't usually make a big huge deal of saying, "Follow me!" "Tweet me!" "Tag me!" Honestly, it just isn't a natural thing for me to do. But you know what - today, I'm doing it.

Today's post, in keeping with the recent flow of things lately, is about starting this new year off right - with a positive attitude and a certain determination to toss aside the remains of 2016 in order to take up the reigns and ride 2017 into the sunset. Or like, make it your bitch or something.

And really, what's better than Pinterest (other than here, or in any of my books, of course) for fueling your search for personal empowerment?

I first fell in love with Pinterest several years ago, when I used it to stave off boredom and loneliness as an isolated stay-home mom, to find new recipes my kids wouldn't eat, to find beautiful clothes I wouldn't sew because my sewing skills are non-existent, and to find cool products I knew I wouldn't buy even if I did have the money. A lot of the stuff I re-pinned was out of boredom or momentary fascination.

But as I began to use the site more efficiently and truly fall in love with what it offers, I began to find great new games I could play with my daughters, fun new ways to interact with my dog, recipes my kids actually ate (and liked!), and most importantly ... inspiration. I found - and pinned - hot guys I thought I might like to work aspects of into my book heroes. I pinned books I've read with my kids, movies I've loved, bucket list items, journaling prompts. Last year I made a virtual vision board on Pinterest, and I've also got boards for knitting and crochet patterns and stitches I'd like to try someday. This is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg when it comes to my slightly-disorganized and desperately-in-need-of-an-overhaul Pinterest account, but my point here is that Pinterest is a great place to hang out, regardless of what you might be looking - or specifically not looking - for.

Thanks to Pinterest, my oldest daughter got the best birthday party ever in 2015 - a Hollywood inspired event where the kids were all encouraged to wear their Red Carpet Finery. It looked fancy and well-done, but it barely cost us three hundred dollars, including the hotel room we booked to host it in. We had a candy bar made up Joey's favorites, including Dr Pepper Twizzlers, Skittles, Reese's Pieces, and even a miniature Dum-Dum bouquet that I didn't do as well with as I had wanted to. We also had some filler items like marshmallows, popcorn, pretzels, and a variety of mini chocolate chips.


Each place setting at the Hollywood Banquet had a cupcake topped with red sugar glitter, a sleek "Hollywood" water bottle (with labels I made from black paper and let the kids decorate with silver Sharpies), and a goblet of sparkling punch to imitate the feel of classy champagne. This party was a major hit, and my daughter still remembers it as the best one ever.


But I've gotten other great ideas from Pinterest, too - many of which were much cheaper and much more easy to implement - like these bathtub stickers I made for Eden when she was little. They're just plain craft foam sheets I found at the Dollar Tree and cut into small pieces - we love that once they're wet they stick to the wall, and once dried, they can be stored for another day. She still uses these occasionally, and loves spending bathtime decorating the wall with mosaic masterpieces like this one. Pro Tip: If you don't want them to stain your wall, don't leave them up to dry. We take ours down at the end of bathtime and throw them all in the sink until they've dried, then toss them in a little basket under the counter.


But, I digress. I had meant to keep this post about how I've used Pinterest to motivate and encourage myself - as a Christian, as a mother, as a woman, as a friend, and even as an entrepreneur. Above all, my favorite of my Pinterest boards is the one titled, "Truth," and that's because this is where I store the quotes and other word-y things I strongly relate to. Some of the things there are pinned because I found them funny, or because they touched my heart in some way, or simply because when I saw them, I nodded and said to myself, "Yep. Ain't that the truth." Like this one, which made me realize for the first time that it's okay to not want people in my life that poison my spirit:



Or this one, which hit me hard the first time I saw it and made me realize how very much waiting I had been doing:



Or even this one, which I have also saved in an album on my phone:


There are similar pins sprinkled throughout my other boards as well (I told you it's disorganized over there), so feel free to head over and take a little tour of my crazy, life-filled Pinterest account. I've got over 50 boards, many of which are filled with motivational quotes and personal inspiration. There's even one filled with Christian faith-inspired pins, which I've titled, "Because HE Saved Me From Myself," and a romance-and-marriage inspired board called, "Good Lovin'." And, if all of those still aren't quite enough and you really need a heavy hitter, check out this one, called, "That's Affirmative." It's full of positive affirmations and encouraging words I've stumbled over during my travels across the internet, and this is one of the boards I refer to most often when I'm feeling down or discouraged. If you look closely, you'll even find a quote from one of my books pinned there!

And you know, you can follow me (or any of my boards individually) if you want.


30 comments:

  1. What fabulous pins! I need to use Pinterest more often. I have a habit of pinning stuff and then not doing the things I've pinned.

    That party you mentioned for your daughter looks and sounds so fun. My daughter would LOVE something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm bad about pinning things and not doing them too - I go through my pins from time to time and delete pins that I know I'll never get to or ones I'm no longer interested in. Of course, the problem with that is that in the process, I almost always end up with about a billion new pins.

      Definitely do a party with a candy bar. My favorite thing about it is that it can be adapted to different themes or color schemes. Any age, boy or girl - you can use TV characters, game stuff, movie themes, whatever your little one likes!

      Delete
  2. I started to use Pinterest recently, but I still feel confused sometimes! But you are right- it's full of inspiring ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being a little confused by it when I first signed up, and that was years ago when it wasn't quite such a big deal yet. Now that it's so huge and being used in so many different ways, I'm sure it's even more confusing for someone who's new to it.

      Delete
  3. Great post and I too love Pinterest for idea. My daughter also uses twitter and when we went there for Christmas all the recipes she used was from Pinterest. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really used Pinterest but, I think I might use it. Great ideas. Great links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great place to go for inspiration, recipes, home decor, fitness inspiration ... everything!

      Delete
  5. gotta love pinterest. I don't do it as much as I use to but you can find so many things on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I find that I go through cycles. For a week or month or so, I'll be pinning like there's no tomorrow - and then for six months I couldn't care less. But when I'm using it, I love being able to find such innovative ideas on everything from food to fashion to makeup. It has been a great resource for advice on various topics as well.

      Delete
  6. I hear you about Pinterest. I tried it a few years ago and just didn't get it. I started using it again after starting my blog and I love it, especially the inspiration quotes and blogging tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! And I really love that they allow you to have secret boards, too!

      Delete
  7. I love using Pinterest too but I have so much more to learn about it. I have gotten inspired many times on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I know next to nothing about using it for my various business endeavors - but for certain aspects of my life as a woman and mother, it has been an extremely valuable resource.

      Delete
  8. Pinterest is so hit or miss to me... I post things up and try to save, but don't use it nearly as much as I could to utilize it. I like your ideas for the boards you shared though! Might have to try something like that as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been on Pinterest longer than I've been an author, so for me, it wasn't (and still mostly isn't) a business thing. I share my account so my readers can look at it or follow me, but it's not something totally focused on my business - I use it personally for my own needs and interests, mostly.

      Delete
  9. I have not leveraged Pinterest the way I should. When I setup my board, I had no idea what I was doing and so I'm slowly transforming it. I get lots of inspiration there too, but I have stopped thinking someday and concentrate on today as far as what I pinning... except when it comes to my house. I love pinning ideas I will incorporate in the house we are going to build in a couple years because I want a smaller house than the last one and he doesn't. So I am looking for ideas to pack as much into that house to free up the money we both want to use to travel. btw... I wonder how all those parents enjoyed their overly stimulated kids after the party. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The kids actually were very well-moderated with the candy and stuff. Most ate less than a handful or two of mixed treats - they would go up and get a tiny scoop of this or that, come back to the table, eat three or four pieces, and get up again to go play. They made confetti with shredded paper and threw it everywhere, and we blew up a ton of balloons for them to throw around with each other. I also had planned several little party games and ice breakers for them to play together, since several of the kids there went to different schools and didn't know each other.

      We definitely had a mess to clean up, but it was worth it. I did wish we hadn't had so much candy stuff left over though. I bought more than I needed, thinking the kids would gobble it up, but like I said, they didn't eat much.

      Delete
  10. I hear you! It can feel really cringe asking people to follow you but like you said it makes for good marketing. I definitely need to utilize Pinterest because I don't really get any traffic from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get some, when I remember to share my links there. I don't really do it often though.

      Delete
  11. Before I opened my blog I did not use Pinterest at all, but now I think it is a must have :)
    thank you for your post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine! You have seriously visual content, so I can imagine how Pinterest is a great place for your blog to be present on social media.

      Delete
  12. There's really so much that you can learn from pinterest, from arts and crafts to valuable life lessons. I think it's an awesome platform!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should leverage Pinterest more too! And possibly Twitter. I mainly use Facebook and Instagram now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, actually. My best interaction is from Instagram these days, so that's where I tend to hang out the most.

      Delete
  14. It's all about how you use pintrest that counts. You just pin random stuff you see or have an aim in mind. I like the idea of using it to positively visualise what you are working towards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, I pin lots of random stuff that I like on there - quotes, recipes, home decor ideas and household tips, even floor plans because someday I'd like to build a home.

      Delete
  15. I love pinterest as well, although I'm not a pinterest mom. I really suck at some of the craft things. But I do love the motivation that you can get from what other's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really a Pinterest mom either, lol ... more like a Pinterest-FAIL mom. But hey, that doesn't stop me from trying!

      Delete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!

REAL CHARACTERS. HONEST LOVE. BRANDI KENNEDY BOOKS.