Saturday, March 25, 2017

Saturday Showdown: Cats VS Dogs

Not too long ago, I wrote a post comparing digital reading with old-school paper (or analog) reading. That post was inspired by a reader comment (which I love BTW, so always feel free to leave post suggestions in the comments), and it was such a hit that I thought it would fun to turn into a series of sorts - the Saturday Showdown.

On the Saturday Showdown, I'll take two things and compare them - this could be anything from two different lipstick brands to two different actors, book VS movie or ... I don't know. Bath VS shower?

But you're smart; you get the point. And I'd love your suggestions on this topic, too - what would YOU like to see on the Showdown?

For this week's showdown, I thought I'd attack one of the age-old debates, one of the most serious battles we have as humans, one of the differences among us that really tends to draw a firm line between one crowd and another.

Because apparently that's what humans are doing these days, making it a point to get froggy and jump all over people who disagree with them because somehow they think THAT'S how you win someone over. We're doing it with race, with nationality, with religion, with politics.

Why not do it with cats and dogs, right?


Now, you guys know how much I love my dog. Seriously, I even take him with me to therapy every week - he goes wherever I go as long as it's possible, and sometimes if he can't come, I won't come. He's prescribed as an emotional support animal for my oldest daughter - but he works as a service dog for me. He's more than just a companion animal - I've actually worked actively to train him to complete several tasks for me that are incredibly helpful when I'm battling with depression and anxiety. He's not just my pal; he's a dog with a purpose.


But even without the added benefit of Chance as a service dog, there's the scientifically proven fact that having a dog around is good for your health and wellness in tons of ways. Our family also has another dog who IS "just a pal" - and he's equally great at his job, equally important, and incredibly well-loved. He may not have the same type of purpose, but he's valuable to our family all the same.


But then ... there's this guy, the one cat on the planet who doesn't terrify me. He and I have a certain understanding that has allowed him to transcend regular catness and become ... other. He is a cuddler, a snuggler, a fuzzy, vibrating little purr machine - and he follows me around like a dog.

And I'm not kidding about the following me around thing, either. Like five minutes ago, I stopped working on this post to take a pee break, which meant moving the laptop, moving the pillow the laptop is propped on, and moving the cat - who had been sprawled out just beside me, wedged between my arm and the arm of the couch, one paw wrapped snugly around my wrist as I typed.



Well, he followed me to the bathroom and sat in the doorway (I'm alone in the house so I just left it open - I seriously had to be SO BAD), giving me the side-eye the whole time. I guess that's what I get for leaving the door open.

He seeks me out sometimes, specifically. He comes when I call him (when he feels like it), he doesn't bite me like the cat that attacked me when I was a child, he doesn't try to kill me like Dana's cat does every time I go to her house, and he talks to me just as surely as my dog does. Once, he even brought me a mouse - carried it right in and dropped it at my feet.

Nevermind that I was horrified and had to have someone else dispose of it - it's the thought that counts, right?


You know - on second thought, this might have been a bad choice for the first Saturday Showdown. Just as this topic can be totally polarizing, with people who are either firmly in the dog-people camp or firmly in the cat-people camp, I think there are likely just as many for whom there is no clear winner. Dogs have their strengths, their benefits, and their clear purpose for being - but they have their drawbacks too. Then again, so do cats - I mean sure, there's the cuteness and the purring and the way they do that little nose-kiss thing, and there's the way they smile and the softness of their fur and the sheer irresistibility of their cute little paws. But then there's the claws and the teeth and the evil eye, so ... drawbacks.

For me, dogs are the clear winner in this battle - but that's probably because I haven't got an ounce of fear when it comes to dogs. Respect, yes - but fear? Nope.


I know other people who would disagree with me though - people in the cat camp either because they've been attacked by a dog, or simply because sometimes, dogs are scary looking. Not mine, maybe, but other ones. Who wins the battle for you?

For more content like this, please support me on Patreon!

40 comments:

  1. I'm basically an animal person. We have both cats and dogs along with a fish tank and used to have a bird. We have 3 dogs, 1 who is a puppy) 8 cats and the fish tank. I love all of my animals they both give me joy and love in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you've got a whole zoo in your house! I'm not sure I could handle so many, but I do love most animals. I just tend to love cats more FROM AFAR.

      Delete
  2. I am a dog person, but we don't have one anymore. Ours passed away last summer and I am not ready for a new one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I blame you there - I'm sorry you guys had to go through that. Losing a family animal is like losing a family member - it hurts!

      Before we got Chance, we had another dog who was epileptic, and he ended up having to be put down because his seizures were so out of control and meds weren't working. I was heartbroken and cried for weeks. It took me FOREVER to be ready for another dog.

      Delete
  3. Love animals and great that you are such an animal lover

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been a dog person. I'm not really fond of cats as much as I am fond of dogs. Sure, there are some cute cats out there but for some reason, they creep me out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too! They're so unpredictable - and so fast!

      Delete
  5. I'm a cat person. I've never really been a fan of dogs. We have two cats but my husband and daughter would LOVE a dog. Maybe one day. A small dog. I couldn't do a big one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm the opposite! I feel like the bigger the better when it comes to dogs! One day, I'd like to have a Great Pyrenees - they're so beautiful, but so gentle and so incredibly sweet.

      Delete
  6. I've been turned into a cat person. I had dogs more or less while growing up, but when my wife and I first moved in together, we got a cat for her, but he turned into my cat over the years. The whole snuggle thing is real too! He does the same thing with me and only me. We have another cat as well, and she is more or less my wife's cat these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how they do that, isn't it? It doesn't matter who the animal "belongs" to, they still pick their favorite humans, and there's no choosing for them! That goes for dogs too, though.

      Delete
  7. Awww! Look how cute your pets are! The cat sure loves to cuddle. I'm not huge on cats though. I like dogs a lot. Good to know they are loved and are valuable to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm much more of a dog person myself - but this cat is special. He'll never make me a cat person, but he's definitely my little kitty friend.

      Delete
  8. Very nice pics and love how you shared their different moods. Amazing how each pet has his own unique personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! They're all so different from each other, even just the dogs. They're each very much their own "person."

      Delete
  9. I love both dogs and cats but my favourite is cats. I like how independent cats and how very like humans they are. It is lovely that Chance helps you and your daughter out in time of need x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can agree with that - cats are DEFINITELY more independent! As for Chance ... yeah, he's a really spectacular dog. We love him wholeheartedly.

      Delete
  10. I love animals. I don't have a cat anymore, but I loved the little bugger I had lol. I will say, I am more of a dog person though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! But I do like this cat - Patrick has gone a long way toward helping me to not be so afraid of cats. I was pretty traumatized by the one that attacked me when I was little, so it was a lasting fear I thought I'd have to live with forever. But Patrick has given me a chance to trust cats in general through him, which has been nice.

      Delete
  11. My cat doesn't try to kill you, she only fusses at you with her hisses. ;-) I am not necessarily afraid of cats, but they are definitely more scary than dogs because they are so unpredictable. One minute they'll be purring and rubbing on you, then in half a second they are trying to claw your eyeballs out for absolutely no reason. The only dog I am afraid of isomething a German Shepherd. I have no clue why because I've never been attacked, but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! She wants me DEAD. I can tell.

      You just need me to get a German Shepherd so you can let him do for you what Patrick has done for me!

      Delete
    2. Lol. I'm not afraid of German Shepherds if I KNOW them, it's the stranew ones that scare me.

      Delete
    3. Damn, now my DOG doesn't count either?!?

      Delete
    4. Your whole family doesn't count. How's that? ;-) Lol.

      Delete
    5. Ha! We're related, dude - that means YOU don't count either.

      Delete
  12. Your dog is so beautiful! I only had dogs and they hold a special place in my heart so I choose dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you. Dogs are straight from God, and I believe that 100%.

      Delete
  13. I know my daughter and I are in the dog camp. In fact my daughter is kind of afraid of cats and I don't know why. It's kind of sad. But she was also afraid of dogs until we got Oreo and he changed all that. I am somewhat in between but allergies have shoved me into the dog camp. Before I developed my allergies to cats I did have some pretty great ones. I had one that was practically a dog. It was sad when he died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of how Patrick is - he's the doggiest cat I've ever known. Who knows, maybe that's why I love him so. He follows me around and meows at me and begs for treats. He's quite doggy, but all the same he maintains his catness. I like to think he's special.

      Maybe give your daughter chances to hang out with kittens or a cat you know already to be trustworthy, so she can sort of get started trusting them? I'm glad she's been able to come around with the dog though - I am one of those people who believes every kid should have the chance to love an animal.

      Delete
  14. I used to be a solid dog person. I would never get near a cat, EVER. But then this little black cat with blue eyes popped in the my boyfriend's backyard and it was then that I grew a deeper appreciation for cats. Now I love both animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, it's funny how they choose their homes, isn't it? Our Patrick started as a stray too, and one day he just decided that he lived here. He's so sweet no one had the heart to tell him otherwise, and now it's been a little over ten years. He's family now.

      Delete
  15. I can never choose between the two. They have different kinds of affection towards their humans and that's what makes each one special.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely a dog person. I was always a cat person and then we adopted a puppy about 6 months ago and it just does wonders for your happiness and he's just so beyond cute | www.daninaughton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Dogs are such beautiful souls - I'm so thankful they exist.

      Delete
  17. I don't have a cat nor a dog.., I do admire them from a distance though. Thanks for sharing your post with us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a dog person but I also like cats! They both have different personalities and give you different comforts. If I have to pick I would go for dogs! ❤️

    xo,
    Molly
    www.allaboutgoodvibes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kindof how I feel about it too, now that I'm less afraid of cats. But still, I would choose dogs - I can't NOT choose them.

      Delete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!

REAL CHARACTERS. HONEST LOVE. BRANDI KENNEDY BOOKS.