Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Tuesday Talk: Easter Recap


I have to say, leading up to Easter Sunday was super stressful for me. I spent the weekend obsessing over everything - things I got for the girls, things I didn't get for the girls. Upcoming deadlines, school stuff, the impending summer break and it's possible impact on my ability to keep up with my workload. Page views, finances, my goals. My future. My dreams. By Saturday afternoon I felt totally frenzied, struggling to keep up with my own thoughts and the things that were weighing me down. I was frustrated and frazzled, and I was hating it.

Somehow, I still managed to push through all the things that were going on, finish my work stuff for the weekend, and even find some downtime. I still don't even know how I did it.

But Sunday picked up bright and sunshiny - I woke up before the kids, which gave me a few minutes to just get my mind in order before the girls got moving. They went to church with their Grandma for the morning, and I had time to sit back and enjoy the quiet. I spent some time in my Bible, spent some time working, and managed to talk myself into wearing something a little less "everyday," even though I had no plans to go anywhere for the day.

It worked out well; the kids came home happy and ready to spend the day hanging out together, and even though we didn't get around to the Mad Libs game I had meant to implement into our day,  I took the time (while Eden worked on a craft and Josephine texted back and forth with her friends) to make these:


We ended up taking the orange berry stems off the wreath on the left (do you think they looked a little out of place?), but overall, I'm proud of these and they look great hanging up!

From there, we moved on to the classic Easter Egg Hunt - the girls had stuffed a bunch of plastic eggs with candies, and I took the bag out to stash the eggs around our front yard and the sides of our house. There were around sixty eggs, and we had four kids at the house hunting - my two girls, their slightly older uncle, and his girlfriend. While I was hiding the eggs, though, I found these:

Robin eggs!
They were in a bush around the side of our house, just barely above waist level. We have some (I think they are) boxwood bushes around the side, and there's a bit of a gap behind them, just before you get to the fence that closes in the backyard; I had intended to drop a small treasure trove of eggs in that back corner, for any kid thorough enough to venture that far and brave enough to reach down into that gap. But as I got closer, the last bush came alive in a flurry of beating wings.

I had frightened the mother with my closeness, and she in turn had frightened me with the suddenness of her panic. It drew my attention - had she sat there waiting still, I would likely never have noticed her, as I was focused on my task and enjoying the pleasant surprise of what was shaping up to be a truly beautiful holiday. But she wasn't still, and I peered into the gap between the branches of the bush.

This of course frightened the mother bird further - she flew the bush entirely and perched herself in the tree above, watching me carefully as I leaned in. I touched nothing, and stayed only long enough to take this picture (I wanted to show the kids, but wasn't sure it would be wise to actually show them, lest they come back unattended and disturb the nest.). I had seen bird's nests many times before, up in the trees above me, usually abandoned, their roundness standing stark against the winter-bare branches. I had never seen one with real eggs in it before though, and even I was tempted to reach out, to see if they would feel as solid as they looked, nestled there together.

I didn't. But it changed the tone of the entire day, brought a new sense of magic into the impending egg hunt. This Easter, we found much more than Skittles and Spree, something much more colorful than a Ring Pop and far more lovely than even the most beautiful Easter baking. We found new life in the most literal sense - and in the more figurative, we found signs of the end of what has for us been a long winter. I found a promise of hope and encouragement, the magic of new beginnings.

And, something else to worry about when Patrick doesn't come home at night.

That wretched and blessed cat brought me a hatchling last week, a baby bird still bald and featherless. Needless to say, what he must have thought would be an extremely welcome gift was NOT well received.

I'll be checking on the robin eggs daily.

For more great content like this, as well as other exclusive benefits, support me on Patreon!

44 comments:

  1. It seems like your weekend was a bit stressful, mine was also to point where I even forgot to go to church next easter I need to plan properly.

    Http://Mapolo.style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure God will forgive you missing one. Don't wait til next Easter though - we have a Sunday every week!

      Delete
  2. Those wreaths came out really nice. You should make a bunch and sell them next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I might get around to something like that one of these days. I love crafting and it would fun if I could figure out how to do it to benefit charity.

      Delete
  3. The wreaths are beautiful. Glad you are ended up having a wonderful Easter. Sometimes we are sent a sign when we really need one. Glad you were able to see the beautiful eggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I definitely needed that sign, and have been so grateful for those eggs.

      I've been checking on them, too - no babies yet!

      Delete
  4. The wreaths are AWESOME, Brandi! So cute and would be great to decorate the home with during the Spring season. Your Easter weekend seemed a little hectic but definitely rewarding in its own ways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they were fun to make too! Yeah it was definitely a hectic Easter, but I'm happy to have been able to say it was a good one.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you and your family had a great time. I also had a busy week and crazy Easter. I hosted it in my house and was glad when it was all over lol. By the way, the wreaths are so beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can imagine! It's crazy how loud a house can feel, isn't it? And while it's lovely to have the family descend, it's also great to see them go their own way again after a get-together.

      Delete
  6. Your wreaths are amazing!! Love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the eggs will be okay!

    And those wreaths look so lovely. I'm sorry Easter Sunday was stressful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too - I've been checking on them every day but there are no hatchlings yet. The mother is staying pretty close to the nest though, so maybe soon.

      Glad you liked the wreaths - they were fun!

      Delete
  8. Oh no, I'd have a fit if my cat brought me a gift like that lol. I was ill so I completely missed Easter this year. I want to make those wreaths for my Easter make up day this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he's notorious for that - if we aren't careful, he'll bring his finds right into the house. Once, I didn't realize he was carrying something and I opened the back door to let him in; he came in just as proud as could be and dropped a mouse at me feet. Yuck!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry to see that you missed Easter due to being sick, though. Hopefully the makeup day will go much better!

      Delete
  9. The wreaths are amazing. This reminds me of Easter memories from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, the important thing is it all turned out ok! We always have a huge family gathering every Easter and it's always a lot of fun. hopefully, next year will be less stressful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful for that for sure! I definitely need less stress in my life.

      It's cool that you have family gatherings like that - most of my family is pretty spread out so we don't really do that.

      Delete
  11. The wreaths are beautiful! Family gathering can be stressful but I'm glad that everything went fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too - it was a relief because I was really in need of a good day.

      Delete
  12. What a stressful weekend but at least the Easter Sunday was a bit better. I am loving your wreaths and hopefully the bald chick is okay haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! "The bald chick." Sadly, it was dead though - our cat is a hunter by nature, and while he's a mighty fine one, we're certainly less than pleased with his skill.

      Delete
  13. What a discovery! So beautiful! Have never seen it! I hope you can destress in time! :D

    XOXO // Check out my latest post if you like ;)
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | HOW TO | Small Bag in a Big City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it felt pretty magical to us. Eden makes sure we check on them every morning - today I almost forgot, but she reminded me just before I took the kids to school. It was cute; she was very concerned.

      As for the stress, I hope to have less stress soon. I'm definitely working on it!

      Your blog post was a good one too! I'm a chronic big-purse carrier, so it was great to see that there IS a way to make smaller bags work for me too. They're so much more stylish!

      Delete
  14. So stressful, no you know its was wasted. Your kids will not care if its perfect. It all looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry it was so stressful heading into Easter. I feel like it's always like that with holidays. The wreaths are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah holidays tend to be stressful for me because there are so many "have-to's." You "have-to" do this and you "have-to" go there. You "have-to" attend this event and you "have-to" go to that party.

      I'm an introvert though; I just want to hang out at home with my kids and enjoy this time together. They're 13 and almost 8 now, and I'm well aware that my time with them (on a full-time basis) is passing. But even when they're driving me crazy, I don't want to miss a thing.

      Delete
  16. I'm glad that despite being busy you were able to catch up in time to welcome the Easter without much in mind. It's always time well spent when you're with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I was glad to be able to relax and enjoy the day with the girls.

      Delete
  17. That's me most of the time. I rush to finish things to get a day or two to relax at least especially when the family is around. That photo of the nest is beautiful, I'm glad you were able to take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a business-owner too now - so you'll know how it feels like there's never a day off unless you work a little extra to create one. It was good to be able to have one on the holiday.

      Delete
  18. Sorry to hear you had such a stressful weekend. We had a stressful dinner as well, as this was our first family dinner after living in England for 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's harder to BE home than it is to LEAVE home, isn't it? I hope things iron out for you soon!

      Delete
  19. My Easter weekend is an opposite of yours, and I chose to pampered myself. Been so stressful for months and a long spa weekend is the best option.

    Many when I have a kid at home, I will feel your Easter stress too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like you all had a great weekend. I love the little craft.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I find my hectic life very challenging that I sometimes wanted to just quit, but with my love to my family, I simply conquer all. And like you, I still managed to push through.
    ~ ONE SPORTY MOTHER

    ReplyDelete
  22. Creativity empowers those wreaths, I would love to have and create my own one

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need to try making one of these one day!

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!

REAL CHARACTERS. HONEST LOVE. BRANDI KENNEDY BOOKS.