Friday, May 5, 2017

Wait - What? Awarded Again?

A few months ago, I woke up to a pleasant surprise. I had been nominated for a blogging award - the Liebster Award, 2017, which is a recognition award meant to bring attention to small bloggers. Since that time, I've been able to increase my readership in (small) leaps and bounds, due in part to my efforts at networking within the blogging world. I've joined groups where bloggers get together to engage and share advice, wisdom, and friendship, and I've had a ton of fun interacting in comment exchanges that have taught me SO MUCH about what I want for this space - and what I don't.

I have fallen in love with people and perspectives, with histories and futures, with words and the emotion they can evoke, both in the fiction and the non-fiction format. I've made friendships that will last for life - regardless of the attached time frames and how they vary.

So it means the world to me when I wake up to posts like the one I read today, where for whatever reason, someone thought enough of me and this little corner of the internet to nominate me for an award. Again.


Now, in all honesty, blog awards are really just meme/tags in their most basic form - but what they are in a much less basic way is a pat on the back, a nod of recognition. They're a virtual "well-done" from someone, somewhere, who stumbled onto this site and found something of value.

And I may not understand exactly why Elizabeth Brico thought I was worthy of the nomination - but I totally see why she was nominated. Elizabeth is a mom like me, a mom living with PTSD, who loves words as therapy and uses fiction writing as a way to cope with non-fiction issues. Her short stories are phenomenal, filled with depth and emotion, and she has a real skill for pulling life into her writing.

But I don't need to understand why she chose my name out of the probably billions of great bloggers out there - all I need to do is accept her thoughtfulness as the gift that it is, with the natural gratitude that I try to fill my days with, and the sense of abject humility that forced one of my most favorite people in the world to refuse my nomination before I even had the chance to write it.

"I'm not worthy," he said. "I'm nothing special. I'm just me. And besides, I don't even know fifteen bloggers to nominate." (Of course, I'm paraphrasing.)

Over the last few years, I've slowly been realizing that I've somehow managed to fill my life up with people who actually don't want the best for me. I've met, and accepted the attentions, of people who wanted to use me as a stepping stone, or simply wanted to see me fail so that they could sit smugly satisfied with feeling ... something other than proud of me. I've made more frenemies than friends, and as certain things began to play out in my day-to-day life, I began to question myself and what it is about me that attracts those people. 

I started therapy in November 2016, and in that time, I've seen a slow but steady change - not only in the value of my life, but in the value of the people in it. It's said that every person becomes the average of the five people they spend the most time with - and even though I'm not nominating him here, I'm glad Raine Spencer has become one of my five.

But what's the reward about really? Let's see:

Here are the rules:

  • Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
Thanking someone for something like this is just what must be done, regardless of the rules, and my gratitude for Elizabeth having thought highly enough of me to have nominated me is 100% genuine. Blogging is a lot like motherhood in that you often spend long hours working hard to grow and improve something you love - and it's a lot like motherhood in that you often do it without any recognition for your passion, your effort, or your skillset. To have another blogger so similar to myself take the time to recognize me in this way is humbling and very, very much appreciated - and to have the added bonus of her professional respect is incredibly meaningful. Thank you, Liz. (Visit Elizabeth's blog, Betty's Battleground, here.)
  • Write a post to show off the award. Check.
  • Tell a brief story about how your blog got started.
This isn't my first blog, but this one started because I finally published my first novel in December 2012, and I needed a place to connect with my readers, a website to send them to, a place to announce new book covers, teasers, excerpts, releases, etc. Over the years, it's become something of its own - not only a place for books, but for the growth of friendship and the nurturing of myself, not only as a writer but also as a mother and a woman in general. This blog began as a place to grow and promote my writing career - but it has become something so much more than that, and it has quite literally changed my life.
  • Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
One, don't be shy. This is a big world, and if you stand whispering in a dark corner of the internet, no one is ever going to hear you. Take heart, and be bold. Stand up, stand out, and speak loudly. Otherwise, what's the point?

And two ... be for real. Don't do it to make money (although that's a nice bonus) or to get "famous" (although I imagine that's a nice bonus too, and if I ever get there, I'll let you know), but do it because you have something to say that really, truly, desperately matters to you. I don't care if you want to talk about books or makeup or shoes or parenting or weight loss or traveling. But whatever you talk about, mean it, because people can tell - and it matters. So if you aren't sharing genuinely - if you're just talking into the wind to hear your own voice - then stop right now and redirect.

'Cause here's the thing - if you don't have the courage to implement my #2, then the #1 doesn't matter anyway. If you're fake, after a while people can tell - and they stop listening. And you don't want that, do you?
  • Select 15 other bloggers to nominate, and ...
  • Let them know they've been nominated.
Okay, so here's the part where I practice what I preach. I know I just said how this is a big huge world and all that stuff, and that you have to stand up and speak out loud if you want to be heard. But the truth is, for most of us, our portion of the world is actually quite small. My circle of influence isn't a large one, and I know that ... and here's where it backfires.

I don't really know 15 bloggers all that well. I mean, I like to think I've gotten to know Raine pretty well, but as great as he is, he's only one person. Then there's David from the Single Dad's Guide to Life, and Ana from Faded Spring, but they've both also been nominated.

In addition to that ... you guys, I'm a single mom trying to build a brand that will support my kids and I. I don't have an outside job - I don't have any other incomes besides the small streams I'm working all day every day to turn into a river my family can float on. My books, my blog, my Patreon, and an embarrassingly small dividend stock portfolio. I blog every third day, post Patreon stuff five times a month, and work endlessly to promote all of it mostly on my own - so I don't have nearly as much time for pleasure reading as one might expect.

That being said, I do lurk around on some amazing blogs from time to time, but there is one not previously mentioned that I actually read on purpose all the time because I like it. So I know this isn't the ordered list of fifteen that it really should be, but I'm nominating Amber from AiringMyLaundry.com. I truly love her blog because she's totally cool with being an everyday wife and mom, and she's not out there trying to be fancy or glamorous or anything other than what she is, which is amazing. She's the hero wife of a hero military serviceman, and she's raising two hero kids that meet the challenges of military life with their chins up. They're meeting other challenges too, and I love that Amber has the courage to air her laundry on the web, one post at a time, to inspire other moms like me.

Plus, she probably knows more bloggers than me, so I bet she can come with fifteen easy.

Ha. Good luck, Amber!

Want more great content like this - and MORE? Check me out on Patreon - I'm awesome over there, too.

38 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your award Brandi. Nobody deserves it more than you do, you're amazing! Thanks also for the shout out. You're way to sweet. Also, congrats Amber on your nomination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats you deserve this. I love following your blog. I have a small blog which use to post my book reviews and other book stuff. I do not put near as much time in as you do yours and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! You should put some of your photos on your blog, too. The ones I've seen on your Patreon page are lovely!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for nominating me! I really appreciate the kind words :) Just so you know, I probably won't do a post about this. I rarely do for awards, but I do appreciate them very much. I just didn't want you to wonder why I wasn't doing a post! I enjoy reading your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's alright - I just love your blog, and you were truly one of the first people who came to my mind. Glad you like it here!

      Delete
  4. YAY! I love Amber!! She's the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Her blog is so real, and the way she talks about her life as a mom never fails to inspire me.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations for your award and thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us in such an honest and open way. I'm not familiar with the blog you nominated, but really want to check it out now, its name alone is great! Best of luck with the road ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your award! This is fantastic! You're doing an amazing job! Best of luck for what's to come! xx corinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love doing this, so it's nice to get recognized for the effort to do it well.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations!! It must feel amazing getting rewarded for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I've been blogging off and on for years, and it's always nice to be noticed when people like what I'm putting out there.

      Delete
  8. Great news and you have a fabulous blog. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your award. I like the pay it forward approach that it takes. This is good for blog exposure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Esse! That's actually one of my favorite things about blog awards - the way they step up the action and ask you to spread the word about other bloggers who do a great job in their writing communities.

      Delete
  10. I did something like this when I was a new blogger way back when many years ago. I must admit that I have not paid attention to blogger awards since then lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them - I find that it's a fun way to interact with my readers AND other bloggers, and I also like that it gives me a chance to promote other bloggers that I think my readers would enjoy getting to know.

      I'm not actually all that new at this myself - I've been blogging off and on (on various sites) for around a decade now, and I still love the way blog awards encourage bloggers to interact.

      Delete
  11. Cheers to your recognition Brandi! With all of the time and dedication that you put into your brand, it is always nice to receive recognition.

    prettyfitfoodie.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these so much! Congrats! Your blog is so amazing, I'm glad that you were awarded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Feel free to come back anytime!

      Delete
  13. BIG congratulations on yoru award. Recognition for our work as bloggers is very important. I got an award last year and it was an amazing feeling. Pure bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great feeling! When you work hard at something, it's always nice to be recognized for doing it well.

      Delete
  14. You have a wonderful blog! Congratulations on the award! I'm sure it is amazing when your hard work gets rewarded!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!!! Keep prospering! Keep doing because it's clearly being recognized :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your blogging award!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations !! That is so nice and a great award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely nice to be recognized in that way.

      Delete
  18. great job. it's always a great feeling to be noticed for the hard work we do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your nomination, blogging is not easy so recognition goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!