Monday, May 6, 2013

Review: 'Comfort Food' by Kitty Thomas

It's funny sometimes, what you find yourself reading. I wouldn't normally have picked this book up at all because it's WAY outside my general reading genres. I'm not into hardcore erotica, and I'm definitely not a BDSM fan.

Ask anyone who knows me; I'm sure they'd all testify to how much of a prude I am, what a private person I am, and how much the romance in sex is important to me. I just can't get into all that kinky stuff.

But you know, even though that's such a main focus in this book that the author has actually included a disclaimer, I didn't notice it too terribly much after the first few instances.

What I did notice instead, and in a huge way, was how well-written the work was. I loved how Ms. Thomas developed her characters, I loved how she gave depth to both the heroine (submissive) and the hero/villain, and I really really loved the courage that it must have taken to explore such a hot topic in this way.

The book introduces us to our heroine, who has been kidnapped and is being slowly conditioned in the ways of Stockholm Syndrome. She falls victim to the conditioning in spite of her own psychological training and her absolute awareness of what is happening to her. The psychological exploration makes the entire book for me, and I really loved how real the narrative felt in this story. I will likely read it again one day as well, as I found the honesty to be intriguing and rather fascinating despite the taboos.

In the end, you have to feel for the heroine. You can't help it, and you're sorry for what she's been through while admiring her inner personal honesty. She knows what she wants, and she goes for it, consequences be damned. But the thing that will surprise you most is that you might even find yourself feeling for the hero/villain, too, once you have a chance to look inside his mind and his heart.

He may be doing something terribly wrong, and poor Emily might be terribly terribly broken
but they have their own reasons for the choices that they make throughout the book.

I LOVED IT.

Wanna love it too? Check it out here, available on Amazon.
You can also learn a little more about Ms. Kitty Thomas (the author) by checking out her:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!