Sunday, May 5, 2013

What Might Have Been, A PicPrompt

Please be aware that ALL of this writing is copyright protected as my own creative content, and NO PART of any post/story may be reproduced, copied or used in 
ANY WAY, ANYWHERE, at ANY TIME.


© Dan Tataru  Dreamstime.com

What Might Have Been
copyright 2013, Brandi Kennedy

*****
We all have those moments, the ones where we sit back and think about where our life is, the ones where we get lost in what we once desired more than anything.

We all have lost moments, lost people, 
haunting memories of lost opportunity.


We are all haunted, at times, by "what might have been."

*****

I thought it would pass away,
that it would be swept away like the silt
from the depths of the river.

I thought it would pass away,
that it would fade like the heat
of a raging fever.

I thought it would pass away,
that it would burn out someday like the fires
of love's passion.

I thought it would pass away,
that it would die quietly like the bodies
of the aged.

I thought the dream would leave me,
that the house I never walked through
would cease to haunt me.

I thought the dream would leave me,
that the ring I never wore
would fade away from my heart's memory.

I thought the dream would never leave me,
Paris and the lover's bridge
the windsor knot and your arms forever.

I thought the dream would never leave me,
the words you spoke, the way you understood,
and the romance of mutual need.

And now, you echo as if you'd never gone,
your face unfading, your kiss still tingling,
even as your words become only precious memories.

You chime like a bell that cannot be un-rung
a song that cannot be un-sung.
a sweetness that cannot be untasted.

And all of that love, all of that effort,
all that it meant, so much potential
nothing but wasted.

A lifetime of "possible"
lost in the sad and broken loneliness of
"what might have been."

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's incredible- such flow and feeling in it. A pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!