Friday, December 13, 2013

Review: 'Love And The Goddess' by Mary Elizabeth Coen

*About The Book*

'Sex and the City' meets 'Eat, Pray, Love' in a search for love & meaning.

Love & the Goddess
One woman, One myth, Three Goddesses

A woman's voyage of self discovery begins on the internet leading all the way to Brazil and onto the Andean highlands of Peru.

Devastated from her relationship break- up, Kate Canavan is
at a loss until she re-discovers a hidden painting of the triple Goddess from Greek mythology. Her interest in mythology and spirituality is re-ignited. A voyage of self discovery begins with internet dating using the names of each of the Goddesses in the triple myth. 

When a health scare intervenes Kate and her friends go together to visit a famous healer in Brazil and a spiritual guru in Peru, where all three friends begin spiritual journeys of forgiveness, gratitude and learning to live in the now.

*My Review*
For me, this was a slow but pleasant read. It wasn't something that whipped me into a reading frenzy, but that's okay because it wasn't meant to. The story follows Kate Canavan as she struggles to cope and heal from the loss of her marriage to Trevor, a cheating, controlling, jerk that I didn't like right from the very beginning of the story.

In her search for emotional and spiritual healing, Kate travels through bits of South America -- and several different dating sites -- meeting lots of new people and learning more about herself than most of us learn in all our lives. Supported by a cast of quirky friends and family members, Kate feels real, though she is, at times, a bit uncomfortably self-aware. Still, her self-awareness causes the reader to relate, and to look inward in ways that perhaps have not been experienced before.

This story beautifully expresses Kate's journey to self-acceptance and her realization that "alone" doesn't have to mean "lonely," and while there were characters I downright hated in this story, I can say happily that Kate wasn't one of them. I loved watching her date around, experimenting with who she was and who she wanted to be even as she experimented with dating different types of men. In the end, I liked watching Kate become who she became, and I found myself smiling as I read the epilogue, completely pleased with the end of the story.

Four Stars.

Wanna Stalk The Author?

2 comments:

  1. This story sounds like a wonderful read. I love reading about women who realise that their life isn't over because she doesn't have a man. That they embrace their new freedom and live there lives to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my favorites too, the kinds where women are their own heroes! Those are the kinds of stories I write, too.

      Delete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!