Saturday, July 16, 2016

What's In My Bag?

Each week, I post a discussion question in the secret Facebook group for my street team. The topics vary greatly, and aren't generally book based -- but they're a fun way for my team to get to know me, for me to get to know them, and for them to get to know each other. So far, it's a small community, but as it grows, I want very much for this group to be a close one. I never intend for the group to grow beyond fifty members in its lifetime, so it's important to me that the team be a happy place where we all get along and respect each other. (Interested? Apply here.)

Anyway, a few weeks ago our question was about time-wasters. We talked about various games, apps, and TV shows that we waste time on, which are our favorites, and which ones are more of the "guilty pleasure" variety.

One of mine is YouTube. I love vlogs, and I love the comic rant-style videos. I also like several different challenge styles, and I always love the videos where someone is trying to eat something gross or foreign for the first time. I shared some of my favorite YouTubers with my team members and why I love them, but one of the things I forgot to mention was how very addicted I am to the videos that are called "What's In My Bag?"

I don't know what it is, I don't know why I love them so much. But it's like chips, right? I can't just have one. It's usually one of the channels I subscribe to that starts it ... they post a "What's In My Bag?" video, and then there's another one in the space where YouTube suggests other similar videos. So I'll watch one, and then I'll see another that looks interesting, so I'll watch that too. And the next thing I know, an hour of my life is gone forever, and all I have to show for it is the knowledge of what's in a bunch of women's purses.

That's not creepy, right? It's not even a little bit creepy? I'm choosing to think it's not creepy.

Anyway.

I thought, since I love that so much, and since you guys mostly like me (at least, I think that's why you're here ...), I thought it might be fun to give you a list of what's in my bag.

So here goes. First off, here's my bag, which my cousin likes to not-so-jokingly refer to as a suitcase, mostly because it might be big enough to qualify as a carry-on. It's a good size. Fits a lot of stuff. That's probably why I laugh back and tell her she only thinks my purse is big because she can somehow manage to fit everything she needs into a cell phone wallet. I don't know how she does it, but I suspect it has something to do with this.

Whatever it is that makes her have the ability to do that, I do not have the same ability, or maybe I just lack the ability or the level of chill required to actually "travel light" instead of just wishing to. Still, there's a certain level of magic in my little handbag, magic that comes in quite handy for me. The bag itself is a bit triangular in profile, and once you open the zippers, it has fabric bits on each side that allow the bag to open WAY. UP. Like for real, this bag is pretty tidy looking on the outside, but it is ROOMY on the inside. You probably wouldn't believe everything I can fit in there. So anyway, let's open it up, shall we?

What's In My Bag?

  • My tablet. I never go anywhere without it. It holds my Google Calendar app and all of my appointments, my OneNote app and all of my writing ideas, the Google Keep app and all of my shopping/personal lists. Sure, I have those things on my phone too, but what I really appreciate about the tablet (besides the bigger screen and perfect note-book imitation size) is the built-in stylus. My favorite writing mode is to use the Microsoft Word app on my tablet, paired with a handwriting keyboard. So I get the handfeel of handwriting, and my tablet auto tranfers everything to text easily. It also allows me to write on the go, even in the midst of a tendonitis flare-up (because the tendonitis is in the right wrist, but I'm left-handed).
  • Next, I have my Kindle paperwhite, which is self explanatory. These two items are the chief reason I "need" such a large purse/handbag. I hardly ever go anywhere without them, thus the purse.
Still, my purse really is pretty roomy, and I regularly have any other number of other things stuffed in there. So let's keep looking.
  • My Card wallet. As a mom, I have lots of cards to carry, from my driver's license to my insurance cards. I have insurance cards for my kids too, plus bank cards, gifts cards, library cards, etc. There's no wallet I've been able to find (that isn't huge) that'll hold that many cards, so I keep this with me at all times, and I love how handy it is on the go.
  • In addition to that, I have a change purse that I generally use as a cash wallet (I don't carry a lot of cash usually). It hold what little I need, a few medical necessities in the side pockets, and any change I received after whatever my last cash transaction was. It also has a driver's license pocket on the back side, and I keep a few business cards in there.
  • A Keychain from my mechanic, which I don't keep on my keys but I do keep with my because it has the number on there.
  • A little blue fabric glasses case that I keep a cloth screen cleaner in.
  • A wide-toothed comb.
  • A spare stylus, still in the package just in case I need it because I lost or broke mine -- which hasn't happened yet but as you can see I like to be prepared. Besides, it doesn't take up that much room.
  • A cheap L.A. Colors compact and concealer that I bought on the fly one day when I suddenly felt the need to wear makeup but didn't really have any with me. Same goes for the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream.
  • A spare, fully charged battery for my phone, along with a spare, also fully charged power bank for my tablet or Kindle. The power bank and battery are both from Anker, whose products I highly recommend.
  • A couple of Zeiss lens cleaning wipes, which are handy because they're individually wrapped, but stink pretty bad so I only use them when I'm desperate and my shirt won't clean my glasses. Still, if I'm forced to open one, I also use it on my tablet, phone, and Kindle screens.
  • Movie tickets from when my daughters and I went to go see Finding Dory on June 26th. That shows you how often I clean my purse out.
  • Lady products ... because I'm a lady. No, you don't need to know more.
  • Two elastic hair ties, which I can never find when I'm hunting for one.
  • A charging brick for the wall, which handily fits the cord that stays folded in the little bag my Anker power bank came in.
  • A couple of folded up clean paper towels, just in case -- because I have kids who always seem to need one.
There's a little zipper compartment in the side of the bag that has these things in it:
  • Two more elastic hair ties. So why can't I ever find one??
  • A couple of stickers my daughter asked me to hold on to and then apparently forgot to ask for.
  • A travel bottle of Advil, the kind that are coated so they're easy to swallow.
  • A bottle of Systane Balance, because I have problems with chronic dry eyes, and that's why I always have eye fatigue so bad. If you have eye fatigue too, use these for a few days and see if it helps.
  • A fold up mirror that I already had before I bought the compact, but is only a double mirror with no makeup. But one side magnifies, just in case I'm feeling a little too confident about my skin that day.
  • Two pots of DIY lip gloss that I got from Felita at Lilac Reviews. They're really cute, work amazingly, are super smooth, and I love them. They're made of coconut oil.
  • Three pens, pink, purple, and black.
  • A magenta Sharpie, which I use for autographing books and such. The pink matches all of my branding pretty perfectly.
  • A pen stylus, which I don't like the shape of, but had forgotten it was in there. It's one of the ones with the huge fat bubble at the end, and I like the slimmer ones better.
As if that weren't enough, I keep a small makeup bag in my purse. It's actually a fabric pencil case that I picked up at Walmart a while back for a dollar, but it fits everything I "need," has lasted for a long time, and serves its purpose nicely. Inside, I have:
  • A bottle of Cherry Blossom perfume that I've had for so long I'm not sure where it originally came from, but still smells great and I love wearing it as a treat sometimes instead of my usual body spray.
  • Two squeeze tubes of Carmex, because I love the glossy way it looks and the smooth way it feels on my lips. And when you first put it on and get that little tingle? Yeah, I dig it.
  • Two eyeliners, one blue and one brown. I don't really wear either of them often, but keeping them in my purse means I know where they are when I want them. Or at least, that's the theory. I actually had forgotten they were in there.
  • An L.A. Colors Bold Lash mascara in black, which I bought the same day I bought all the other L.A. Colors stuff listed above. It worked in the moment but was NOT my favorite mascara. It went on a little goopy and was harder to work with, and then flaked later that afternoon which was annoying.
  • A concealer stick from L.A. Colors in, "Oh my goodness do they really even make people that white?" Because yes, they do. And I'm one of them.
And then, to finish off, I also have thirteen lipsticks and glosses in varying brands and colors:
  • Wet n Wild matte lipsticks in the shades 903c (Just Peachy), 905d (Smokin' Hot Pink), and ... well ... 905d. Yeah. I'm that person.
  • Wet n Wild megaslick crayons in the shades 126 (Rico Mauve), and 160a (Red-Ioactive). I keep that second one for when I'm feeling bold and ballsy.
  • A CoverGirl WetSlick gloss in 330 (Pink Sequin). It's ancient though ... I should probably throw it away.
  • A Jordana BalmStain in 04 (Candied Coral). I really like this one, the stain lasts FOREVER.
  • An ELF Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in 22144 (Pink Umbrellas), which is a perfect nude for me. It gives me just the right color on days when I'm extra pale, but not in the mood for "real" lipstick.
  • A NARS Satin Lip Pencil in a nude-ish color that isn't on the packaging but is perfect for my skin and face. But my goodness, the cost! I wear this one only when I'm feeling posh. I've got a red one too, but I don't carry that one with me.
  • A CoverGirl lipstick in 415, but I can't tell what the actual name of the color is. I hate it though, because it's sparkly like 1985. I only have it because my mom gave it to me and I couldn't bring myself to turn her down.
  • Another lipstick in Matte Magenta, but I don't know what brand this is or where my older daughter got it from. She came home from school with it on one day and it was confiscated because while I'm pretty cool about my kid wearing makeup, I don't think my twelve year old needs to be wearing magenta lipstick.
  • A really fat Strawberry Lip Smacker. Seriously, this dang things looks like a pretty glue stick, but I love it. I've loved Lip Smackers since sixth grade, and I am never without one. Usually I carry a normal sized one in my pocket.
  • A Baby Lips tinted gloss in a reddish shade. I don't think it has an official color, but it's the red one that's in the orange tube. I love this almost as much as Lip Smackers because it has color, but not quite as much as Lip Smackers because it isn't as smooth and glossy on the lips.
Oh, and some Tootsie Roll pops, because I'm addicted.

Wow, it's no wonder my purse is heavy, huh? I thought about doing this as a YouTube video, but then I knew I'd get off on a tangent and the video would be three years long. I guess I could do a snapchat story though (I'm BrandiKennedy84 there) ... If you think I should, then add me on snapchat and snap me a photo or video to show me ... what's in your bag?

Until next week,
Happy Reading,
B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!