Monday, January 23, 2017

Motivation Monday: Believe In Yourself

Bob Ross was an icon whose paintings were breathtaking, whose style was always positive, whose afro knew no bounds. This amazing talent hosted The Joy of Painting for 31 seasons, during which he painted hundreds of masterpieces and inspired millions of people to explore and embrace the magic of creating art. When he died from lymphoma in 1995, he left behind a family and a life well-lived - but he also left behind a legacy of positive energy and determined happiness for those who loved his work.

"The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe." - Bob Ross  (Tweet This!)


As a writer, I relate so strongly to his wish for a better, happier world. He was once asked why he painted such "happy worlds," why he so loved "big fluffy clouds" and "happy little trees," and his answer was an unabashed and completely unashamed explanation. He said simply, "That's why I paint. It's because I can create the world that I want, and I can make this world as happy as I want it."

"Anything we don't like, we'll turn it into a happy little tree or something, because as you know, we don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents." - Bob Ross  (Tweet This!)


He believed in himself, and he believed in his art - so much so that he chose to share it with others for 31 seasons of teaching his favorite strategies. But Boss Ross's great strategy of confidence and belief in oneself harkens back to an older generation, back to a man of power and influence even greater than that of the lowly American painter - Theodore Roosevelt.

"Believe you can, and you're halfway there." - Theodore Roosevelt  (Tweet This!)


Theodore Roosevelt was an author, a soldier, an explorer. He became President largely by accident, searching for reform in New York until the surrounding politicians, distrusting and frustrated with his determination, pushed him into place as the Vice President under President William McKinley - solely to get him out of the way. But it was McKinley's assassination in 1901 that gave Teddy Roosevelt his first real taste of Presidential power.

He was the 26th President of the United States of America, and it was during his tenure as President that acts were first passed to regulate the production and quality of American meat and medicinal drug labeling. Teddy Roosevelt was a conservationist as well, and is credited with the establishment of protection for over 200 million acres of land designated for use as national parks, monuments, forests, and wildlife reservations - but perhaps his greatest accomplishment was the treaty that ultimately ended the Russo-Japanese war, a feat that made him the first American to win a Nobel Peace Prize.

But it wasn't superhuman power that made him the success that he was - it was his simple belief that if he stayed the course and kept pushing toward his goals with tenacity and confidence, then he could change the world. And he did.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt  (Tweet This!)


Theodore Roosevelt was a man many people didn't trust, a man many people didn't truly believe in until there was no other choice than to stand behind him. But he was also a powerful man with a vision, a man with a fire in his spirit, a man with a sense of strong patriotism that led him to serve our country in various ways for the majority of his life.

More importantly, and in a way that applies much more strongly to today's average everyday human, one thing that both Bob Ross and Teddy Roosevelt had in common was this philosophy:



And in the end, what it boils down to is the everyday, real-life application of this simple tenet: "Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So go out there and tackle this week with strength and confidence, believing that what you have to offer the world is something great, something productive, something powerful, something of value. Believe it - because only in the power of your own belief, does your potential come to life.


38 comments:

  1. What powerful quotes. Loved them all but my favorite is the first one - the secret to doing anything is believing that you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have found that self-belief is the most powerful tool one can use.

      Delete
  2. I love Bob Ross's outlook. I want to create a different world in my cooking and writing. I understand that so much. Teddy was a great man and I look up to him, he did more for this country than most people think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I read this today. I need some inspiring and motivational passage to go through life this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is highly motivating. It's always important that you believe in what you can do as a person, because it gives you the confidence to follow your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing like starting Monday with motivational quotes. Thanks for sharing all of these, it's nice to get a little push. We all need that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I agree. Sometimes I need them, so I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorites here.

      Delete
  6. I think it is a great work you have done. Because this post is powerful. It can help others to make the best out of their life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob Ross and Teddy Roosevelt were great quotes to use, they are both so inspirational. This post was super inspirational. I love the idea of Motivation Monday!

    xoxo
    Tyler

    http://www.feeltheesunlight.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fab, so inspiring. I love Motivation Monday, I need proper kick in the bum in the beginning of the week 😊
    Katja xxx
    www.katnapped.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Sometimes, things like this are what keep me moving.

      Delete
  9. believe in our selves is really important but we should be surrounded by optimistic person that push you to go forward and encourage you, that is more helpful to achieve goal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - but when it comes down to it, all you really have is yourself. And how can you ask others to believe in you if you don't?

      Delete
  10. What a good quotes and I really love the message so inspiring for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. if we learn to love ourselves first everything is gonna work up and improve even our mood

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very positive post, I love it. Loving and believing in yourself in key to success. We all need to love a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great post. Feeling really positive after reading ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the plan! Glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  14. I really like the first quote that you shared. It's so true that if you believe you can do something and then set your mind to it you're more likely to achieve what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. There really is power in simply believing, and we sell ourselves short with so much self-doubt.

      Delete
  15. The first step in accomplishing anything is believing you can. Thanks for reminding me not to give up when things are difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  16. Visualization is a powerful tool.I use it on a daily basis, putting my goals down in a collage that I hang on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! I keep meaning to create a vision board, but just haven't done it. I've got a sort-of vision board on Pinterest, but it isn't the same.

      Delete
  17. Nothing it's better than wake up, thinking that you will have a hard day ahead and read this quotes before all that, gives you inspiration and a very good mood

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally tweeted out the Bob Ross quote, it's so fitting. I really enjoyed reading this post, I've actually been doing bible studies all week with the same theme. I'm trying to work on my self motivation and staying positive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the quote from Theodore Roosevelt it is so fitting for today!

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!