Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: My Top Ten Favorite Blog Posts (January 2017)

Since it's the end of the month AND it's a Tuesday, I thought this would be a perfect day to list my Top Ten Favorite blog posts of this month - from other blogs!

I talk all the time about how much I love YouTube, but part of my effort to grow my own blog means reviving my love for reading other blogs. So this month, I downloaded the Bloglovin' app, signed up, claimed my blog on there, and started following other blogs that fit my niche and my lifestyle. I've spent time each day (most days) commenting and interacting with other bloggers - when I wasn't busy with therapy, single motherhood, and writing - in an effort to find my place in the blogging world. I've also opened my blog up to sponsorships and increased my affiliate marketing partnerships, which has actually been really fun!

But one of the most important things about blogging successfully is views. A blog doesn't matter if no one sees it, and the best way to help a blogger you love is to share their content. So I'm doing that here, with:

(in no particular order)

This post on CarolCassara.com made me laugh until I cried. It's a list of misheard song lyrics, and seriously - "touched for the 31st time?" Come on - who wouldn't laugh at that? And "two chickens to paralyze" was pretty funny too. Head on over to see if you know many of the other misheard lyrics you know.

This post on EatTeachBlog.com gave me a really fun new hot chocolate idea, which my kids LOVED! In her post, Divya mentioned that she'd been enjoying hot chocolate to combat the winter cold, and mentioned specifically that she was drinking the old-fashioned Swiss Miss - "the kind that comes with those fake marshmallows that taste like the marshmallows in Lucky Charms."


This sent my mind on a short little tailspin, in which I remembered briefly that Lucky Charms had come out with a marshmallow-only variety for a short time.

See where I'm going with this?

Long story short, the non-marshmallow variety of our Swiss Miss hot chocolate (which we had because the store happened to be out of the Marshmallow Lover's that I usually buy) taste great and had an extra layer of fun on it when topped with these:


3.) "Epic ~ 2017 Word of the Year"
CourtneyLynne from TheTrophyWifestyle.com wrote an amazingly upbeat post about her word for 2017 - EPIC. She talked about how FABULOUS has been her life word for many years - and how not that her life is as fabulous as she always wanted it to be, it's time for her to manifest in a new way. My favorite quite from that post? "You can't do epic shit with basic people." It's perfect for me, as I've been clearing toxic people from my life over the last year or so - and I do see a change in my perspective, my motivation, and my general happiness.

4.) "My Surprising Day as a Hometown Tourist - DeLand, Florida"
Becki from ABookloversAdventures.com wrote this great post about looking at her hometown from a tourist's viewpoint, which was SUPER exciting to me because DeLand is my hometown too! I stumbled across this post by accident, and I'm so glad I did - I hadn't realized how much I missed my town until I found myself leaning closer to my laptop, delighted. I was especially thrilled to see Hontoon Island mentioned too, as that particular place is quite special to me. I even commented about what a special post that was to me, and Becki ended up writing this post, which I also LOVE.

5.) "How to Go Natural, Truly."
Imani O'Blige from InternalLifestyle.com got on it for real when she wrote about accepting herself. She used her hair as the tool and talked about how she grew up having the kinky texture of her hair chemically relaxed on the regular - and how it led to a deeper feeling of unease that plagued her, a sense of wrongness and ugliness attached to the "need" to constantly adjust and change the natural look of her appearance. She talked about how learning to accept her hair and her self go hand in hand, her journey to self-acceptance, and some of the lessons she's taken note of along the way. It's so perfectly in line with who I am and what I'm about (not only on this blog but in my books and also in my real life) that I was momentarily speechless, and I knew I had to share it here.

6.) "6 Tips for Pushing Past Fear to Accomplish Your Goals"
If you've wondered what it's really like to live with crippling anxiety, go read this post and pay special attention to the paragraph about when Samahria from SheTriedThat.com (which is brand-new, by the way, so go show her some comment love and tell her I sent you!) quit her job to become an entrepreneur. In her post, she mentioned having an influx of disastrous thoughts, worries about what might happen to herself and her family if her business effort failed - and I sat back and cried. It was an outline of the thoughts that plague me daily in regard to my career as a writer, my ability to be a good mother ... much of my life in general. I go on and I keep moving because my desires are bigger than my fears - but my fears are there, and it felt so freeing to have them acknowledged in such a powerful way by a perfect stranger.

7.) "What To Do When You've Finished Your First Draft"
So, I didn't relate to this post from Nellwyn over at TheCardinalPress.com at all. Not even a little. Not even a smidgeon. Not even a wee speck. Because I don't do any of the things mentioned here - ever. And especially not after having wrenched an entire book out of the depths of my heart and soul. Nope. Not me.

8.) "Do You Struggle With Making Your Resolutions Stick?"
I don't struggle with this because I don't set specific resolutions - but I do struggle with goal setting because I have a hard time defining my goals in a quantifiable and measurable way. The push toward creating "SMART goals" infuriates me and makes me feel like an utter failure at goal-setting because that just isn't how I work. So I was thrilled to see this post from Elayna from ThePositiveMom.com, because she talks about goals in a whole other way, reminding me that setting habits one at a time is really the way to accomplish things - for me. I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm going to become the morning person I've long wished I could be, but I'm thinking I'll try this strategy and see how the effort to adjust my mornings bleeds into the rest of my days.

9.) "When Life Hands You Lemons ... Tuck 'Em Inside Your Bra! Couldn't Hurt, Might Help!"
This was such an inspiring post by Stephenie over at BlendedLifeHappyWife.com. She spoke about some of the "lemons" in her life, and how she found perspective and blessings in even the greatest hardships. I loved reading this post and soaking in the reminder that even the bad things happening in our lives can be used to bring about moments of gratitude and happiness.

10.) "Self Care Plan"
I love this great post by Alma over at BlessMama.com! It's a great reminder of the importance of self-care and self-compassion, and there's even a list of suggested ways to amp up (or renew) your own self-care routines! Several of the items listed are ones that I personally love to use when I need a bit of extra pampering - I know you'll find something you love there, too.

I hope you'll check out some of these posts, and that you'll get as much out of reading them as I did. If you click over to any of these posts or blogs, please take the time to leave a comment there - bloggers love comments!


Questions for the Comments Section:

  • What are your favorite blogs, and why do you love them so much?
  • What's your favorite content style to see on a blog?
  • Which kinds of posts never get old for you?

55 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the shout out, Brandi! I've had fun checking out these other blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to come across these blogs so thank you for the new reads they all sound like posts I would enjoy so going to make a cuppa and head on over to check them all out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're anything like me, I'm sure you'll love them!

      Delete
  3. That was an interesting lineup and my own favorite was the Misheard song lyrics. I also do laugh a lot with this post. The lyrics will make you go crazy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that you did this. I want to go check out a couple of these now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun posts! I'll have to get those marshmallows. They look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they can be purchased separately too.

      Delete
  6. I loved the 'when life gave you lemons post' it was such a beautifully written post x I also liked Courtney's word 'epic' and it was like you said uplifting x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good idea to post your favorite blog reads! I can relate to the wrong lyrics post so much. LOL! And I can totally relate to the self care plan post. Gotta take care of self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's so easy to forget about your own self-care, especially if you tend to spend all your time caring for others.

      Delete
  8. Wow this is such a clever idea to promote other bloggers' posts in one post! I shall learn from what you did here and apply it on my own blog. I like to read blogs about conspiracy theories, it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is certainly no lack of conspiracy theories to pull from, right?

      Delete
  9. This a good collection of cool posts. I've read some of them too with delight. I'll check out the rest too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! I love your list too! I have yet to compile my list of blogs I like and I'll take note of this blog as reference point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just wrote it as I went along, honestly. When I saw something I really loved, I noted it for this post, and when I passed ten, then I began prioritizing what I liked best.

      Delete
  11. This is a great idea. I enjoyed a couple of these post as well, even shared one or two on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Amazon recommendations! Thank you so much. Hot chocolate sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! I just added some of these to my bloglovin feed too! I love the BookLoversAdventures one! Anything that inspires travel, living, and Bucket List adventures is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Glad you found some great new reads from my list.

      Delete
  14. My favorite post of yours was definitely the misheard song lyrics. I have gone back to it a few times to have a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great way to network other bloggers. I think as bloggers its great to read and encourage eachother. Cuz lets be honest some people just dont get as to why we love to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! My life sometimes seems to be extra full of those people.

      Delete
  16. What a fun way to network! I may have to steal this idea ...1st shout out this post right here :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great post with a lot of great information! I am definitely going to check out a few of these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post! I am defintely going to have to visit a few of these blogs, they seem to be very useful for everyone.
    http://prettyfitfoodie.com/2017/02/01/valentines-day-dresses-under-100/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great selection. How to go natural truly sounds like something I would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love the misheard song lyrics. I do that all of the time and laugh so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's always so funny to hear the real version of songs I've been singing wrong for long periods of time.

      Delete
  21. Oh my gosh thank you for sharing! I always thought Jimmy Buffet was looking for his "lost aisle of sugar and salt" instead of shaker of salt- Can wait to read blog post #1!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love posts promoting other blogs. I did an interview piece on my blog in January which I love. We loved it so much, and had such a positive outcome that we are looking into doing an interview series now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is quite awesome! I love that there are so many blogs to look forward to. Thanks for featuring all of them, I can't wait to see more of their entries.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely idea to inform about your fav blog posts. Maybe I will do the same? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'm sure the bloggers you choose to feature will greatly appreciate the shoutout!

      Delete
  25. Thanks for featuring me!
    Carol Cassara

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an interesting list and there are few which matches with my favorites as well. The 6 tips for reaching your goals and the Self care plan are some wonderful blog posts to read anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is so many blog posts on this list. Some of these I have read myself. Since I am a fashion and lifestyle blogger I guess I enjoy this kind of blogs the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you. Those are my favorite kinds of posts.

      Delete

Like this post? Leave me a comment - and don't forget to check "notify me" so you'll get an alert when I reply!