Sunday, April 21, 2024

It's A Square Peg Life In A Round Hole Town

"...but it all couldn't be any sweeter. You may be upside-backwards and wrong side down, but it just couldn't feel more completer..."

We're gonna have to ignore the grammar in this week's lyric because I just found this song today and it's fabulous and I love how this particular lyric fits my world so well these days.

I've been a Christian for a long time, but I've also been a writer for a long time, and recently I've been encountering a pretty solid half & half mix between people who love my writing journey (complete with service and ministry goals) and people who are almost utterly scandalized by the fact that I write secular fiction for adults only. It's a strange dichotomy, but on average, it looks like this:

  1. Person discovers I'm a writer, get's curious. They often ask, "So, what do you write?" The general answer these days is, "I write upmarket women's fiction." After which, I explain a little of what that means, because most average people (even readers) don't always know what genres really mean beyond generalizations. This usually leads to a short exploration of what is "chick lit" and what is not, what are the merits of "chick lit," and why my books can fit there but don't necessarily belong there.
  2. Now curious, the person will generally ask if my writing is appropriate for younger readers, to which, the answer is always no. Beyond the question of sexual activity and how graphic it may or may not be from novel to novel, my novels explore deep content and often feature a woman in the midst of some deep emotional trauma or growth process. The stories follow the heroines as they grow and heal - but yes, women love love, so there is usually some romance thrown in. And where romance is present, sex is often present as well.
  3. This is usually where most people give some kind of hand flutter and say something like, "But they're married right? When they have the sex?" (Because extra-marital sex is not biblical, and as previously mentioned, I am a Christian.) This question is rarely intended to be judgmental, though, and has often led to really powerful conversations exploring faith, ministry, and yes, relationships. These are some of my favorite conversations to have about my writing, my process, my goals, and what I want my stories to accomplish in the hearts and minds of readers. But when that doesn't go well...
  4. The now scandalized person will almost always ask some version of, "How could you write that as a Christian?" The fun thing is seeing the looks on people's faces when I say, "Well, the characters aren't Christians so it would be really unfair if I expected them to act like they are, just because I am." There's almost always a good turn to the conversation, and every now and then I get to see the person I'm talking to suddenly understand in a new way - but not always.

The thing is, those "square peg" conversations, held in the midst of my "round hole town," really highlight for me how different I am from the people around me. Sometimes, this shows me where I need to grow or learn or adapt - but other times it shows me how well-placed I am with this writing thing, not because I'm some kind of expert on anything, but because I care enough to reach into a dirty, nasty, deeply flawed and often hurting world to try to offer something good. Some hope, some compassion, some understanding. A shot at growth, a reminder that where you are doesn't dictate where you must stay. In so many areas of my life, I am upside-backwards and wrong side down...but it just couldn't feel more...completer.

So I guess I'd better get back to it! Other updates:

  • Chapter one of STILL FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM is complete and was well-loved by my first beta reader.
  • The second chapter is nearly ready to land in the hands of my favorite right hand grammar nazi.
  • I'll be sitting in on a real-life domestic abuse trial next month. This trial will hopefully award appropriate justice to the survivor in questions, and will also serve as research for coming chapters in STILL FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM. In this second novel, the trial against Christine's husband comes into play, and it's important to me to portray this process as accurately as possible.
  • The last current beta-reader is loving the second edition, expanded and revised version of FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM (coming May 2025), and I'm literally counting down to publishing day (382 days, but every one of them is worth it)!

If you want to keep up with what's happening or want a sneak peek at what's coming next, make sure you check the graphics in the sidebar, and if you're looking to interact, drop a comment below or feel free to come hang out on social media. See you next week!


*song lyric from "Couldn't Be Better," Kelly Clarkson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like this post? Let me know!