Sunday, September 27, 2026

Survival Is Just The Beginning

Sometimes we hear things so often, we forget to actually listen to the words. It's why we hear favorite songs again years later and can't believe what we used to listen to. It's why a quote we've seen a thousand times suddenly lands in a new way. For me, this happens a lot with the Bible—not because a verse or story has changed, but because I have. The meaning of the words will shift suddenly, almost unexpectedly, into place. And because the words themselves remain the same, I think the thing that changes most is...well, me.

It happens with passages about healing and resilience, because they give me encouragement. It happens with stories about people overcoming adversity, because they give me hope. But it hits me hardest where trauma recovery is the transformation—in the places where moving forward doesn't mean forgetting where you came from, where pain and purpose truly mold a person into someone they couldn't have been before.

It's in those moments that I recognize faith as something more powerful than stereotype, and personal growth as more than a mental health trend. This morning in church, someone mentioned the story of a man unable to walk for thirty-eight years. It was a passing comment, but it got me thinking about life. And healing. And remembering. And how, whether you're a Christian or not, the concept behind Jesus's command to "take up your mat" might not always mean what we thought it did.

The story doesn't tell us how old the man was. It only says he was invalid, unable to walk for thirty-eight years. He could have been thirty-eight years old—or fifty, or seventy-five. We don't know.

In the story, Jesus asked the man if he wanted to be well, and modern teachings on this passage almost always imply that perhaps the man got so used to being helpless, he decided to stay that way. After all, he'd been lying for years on his mat, right there beside the healing pool of Bethesda, so why didn't he just creep closer as the years went on? Why didn't he just scoot over and roll in? Sometimes we even sprinkle a little shame into the teaching, because Jesus asked him if he wanted to be well, and he basically said, "Boohoo, so sad. I never seem to get there fast enough, and no one will help me."

Sometimes we make it seem like this man was stuck in his own emotional victimhood, laying year after year on that mat by the pool. But if he was truly incapable and truly without help, what did the accumulation of thirty-eight years look like? Maybe he was covered in sores or wrapped in the stench of his own filth. Maybe he was lonely, overlooked, or forgotten. Often, we simply paint him as lazy because his focus was on the help he didn't have, and we emphasize Jesus asking, "Do you want to be well?"

We love the authority that showed up when Jesus said, "Take up your mat, and walk." We love the miracle of a man who was crippled for nearly four decades and then suddenly wasn't, because it gives us hope in our own suffering...but I think we underestimate what Jesus didn't say. He didn't say, "Leave that mat and move on," or, "Walk away and forget about it." He didn't say, "Pretend it never happened."

He said, "Take up your mat, and walk." And I don't know about you, but if I was stuck on a mat for thirty-eight years waiting for healing that only came to the people around me...I'm not sure I could forget that. Even after the healing came, I'm not sure I could leave that mat behind.

I don't think we talk enough about that.

We like to think of healing as a process, by which we become the person we would've been if the hard thing hadn't happened. We think that maybe someday, when we've done enough and grown enough and learned enough and surrendered enough and taken back enough of ourselves, we should be able to look back with the right kind of separation. "It's over. It's in the past."

But what if leaving the mat behind is like only reading the end of a book? Because, make no mistake here—the mat is the bulk of the story. In that time, the average human spent less than eighty years in this life. This man spent thirty-eight of those years on that mat. 

When we look at it that way, it doesn't seem like much has changed, and maybe that's why the mat matters. I personally have a small collection of mats. I've stood, I've taken them up, I've walked away. I've carried them with me because they remind me of who I was and where I came from.

Some are woven with painful threads of divorce. Others are torn by the scars of abandonment. A few are worn thin because I laid on them too long or went back to them too often. Most of my mats spent long stretches of time heaped in the dark corners of my life because I didn't have the stomach or the skills to clean them properly—but I kept them. 

Because they wrote whole chapters in the story of my life, and the story wouldn't make as much sense without them.

Maybe that's why I do this. Not to rehash old things, but to share my own mats in ways that say, "I'm not that special. If I could get up, maybe you can, too." Maybe my sharing is my way of saying, "You're not alone by the pool."

And you know what...sometimes moving forward won't look impressive to anybody but you. Sometimes they don't know what it took to make that effort. Sometimes you're just getting from one day to the next. Some days, you're barely managing to get out of bed. Maybe it's the effort of one small choice, one more conversation.

Maybe for you, it means trying one more time, over and over again. Slowly flexing muscles you haven't used in a while. Slowly straightening the backbone you've been bending to keep the peace. Until eventually you make it to your knees, trembling and exhausted. And eventually, you climb to your feet, stunned by your own strength.

And somewhere along the way, you stop believing that getting stuck and staying stuck are the same things.

Either way, take up the mat, friend. And don't forget to carry it with you.

*****

I know there will always be people who skip to the end of the story. They want transformation without trauma. They want the happy ending, and sometimes they don't even care how it happened. Maybe that's right for them, wherever they are in this chapter of their own story...but for me, the beauty of a story is the journey it takes us on, and it just wouldn't be the same with pages missing.

I don't think you need to stay where you are. I think in some ways, we're all just moving from mat to mat, learning to stand over and over again. But with each new moment of stillness, each new devastating circumstance, each new lesson learned, we're reminded of what it feels like to be stuck. With each grueling climb to our feet, we gain understanding—and if we're brave enough to remember what it was like to lie on that mat, we find compassion for people still hoping for change.

There was a time when I needed someone else to believe getting up was possible before I could believe it myself. There have been times when I sat beside someone else and told them to get up. Some did it quickly, almost in obedience to a possibility they hadn't noticed before, but others needed a hand held, a shoulder braced. Some have needed an outright push. And I get it, because I've been there, too.

But maybe that's the power of the mat, covered in the scars of the past. It's not that the suffering was good or that "everything happens for a reason." It's just that some things happen whether we want them to or not. Some things are painful. Some things are unfair.

Still, healing from those things does not render them meaningless. The mat is more than a reminder of where you've been. It's evidence of what you've learned and where you've grown. 

I've always loved the idea that the things we survive become part of what we offer to others, because we can look back at (but not down on) someone still lying on their mat and say, "I know. It doesn't feel possible, and you can't see the other side yet. But this mat is not all that you are."

And for me, that's the magic of writing—because in a lot of ways, it's just me, taking up the mat. I can't change the things that happened to me. I can't erase the scars, rewrite the chapters, or become the person I might have been. But I can pick those things up and carry them. I can turn them over in my hands and absorb the lessons they offer.

And if I can put those experiences into words that make somebody else feel less alone, then that's the way I'll keep choosing to...

Like my content? Feel free to leave a comment—or share this post with someone you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like this post? Let me know!