Sunday, February 18, 2024

Progress, Not Perfection

This was a theme for me this week: progress, not perfection. I'm not a perfectionist by any means, and I've learned over the years to accept the limitations of time and capability. I've learned a lot about being compassionate too, not only with others but with myself. To top it all off, I'm still healing toxic shame and working on tendencies to people-please and self-sacrifice.

But with all that said, I do hold myself to a high standard and I want to know that what I do with my life is worthwhile. Sometimes this is a struggle because I have a very active life, and that activity often leads to issues with time management - which means I'm not always as realistically capable as I want to be (or think I should be).

This week that played out in my editing, which is still coming along beautifully - but taking so long. Currently, FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM is coming in at 216 pages, 124,527 total words. I've got 135 pages left to go and still need to shave it down to 110,000 words, and you guys, I am just about dying to share this. Literally, I'm beginning to doubt my ability to follow the timing of my original plan because I'm just so impatient to see this project in the hands of readers. The week was full of other life things too, though, so that definitely had an impact on the time I was able to dedicate to this project. My oldest daughter had covid, my younger daughter had a doctor's appointment and another separate doctor visit for an injury, I had two doctor's appointments, we had church stuff, my geriatric dog isn't feel well, and yesterday was my (fabulous fortieth) birthday - so it was a busy week.

Which brings us neatly back to progress, not perfection - and while I'm a long way from perfection in the process, I do think the end product is going to be spectacular. In the meantime, those of you who have followed me since the early days might remember that for a while I had a t-shirt design...and after a few people asked me if there would be new t-shirts, I'm pleased to say that I've rebranded the design to match my new phoenix crest. I've set up a little just-for-fun Zazzle store, and I'm slowly working on adding new items, but t-shirts and bumper stickers (and tote bags, oh my!) are now available.

I'd like to say that next week will be calmer and therefore more productive, but I can't. I've got two doctor's appointments, my younger daughter has a doctor's appointment (and her first high school formal dance!), we've got church stuff, and I've got a ministry class - so we'll just do our best and see what the week brings. That being said, I'm hoping to get through another 30 pages of editing, so I'll see you here next weekend and let you know how it went.

And now, I'm off to do as much editing as I can get through before it's time for Winter Jam '24!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like this post? Let me know!