Sunday, March 31, 2024

When I Was Just A Girl, I Thought I Had It Figured Out...

"See, my life would turn out right, and I'd make it here somehow...but things don't always come that easy..."

You might have noticed that I've been using song lyrics to title and inspire my blog posts for a little while now, and I usually just post a little credit at the bottom, but you guys, I love this song.

I wanted a lyric that would express how totally thrilled I am to be able to say the second edition of FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM is complete - something celebratory and motivational. But really, this book and the journey through putting it together has been rough. During the writing of this second edition, we had the holiday busyness, the turn of the year, my youngest daughter's first year of high school, my oldest daughter's (probably) last year at home, several injuries and illnesses, and a divorce that nearly derailed some of the most valued and meaningful parts of my life. It took seven months to complete this book, and here's where we stand: the text file for this novel is 199 pages, and we did make it down to just over 110 thousand words (110,335, but who's counting?), which means the paperback will be a solid 336 pages.

It didn't come easy. I had to fight for it the whole way, had to prioritize it when I could, and learn to give myself grace when I couldn't. But now, all that's left is for me to finish designing the paperback cover (hopefully tomorrow), and then finally we're on to the second slice of my absolutely huge and sometimes terrifying comeback-to-publishing-plan.

I know some of you are wondering what this means for when this new version of FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM will be released, and next week I hope answer some of those questions in a post that will explain more about what's coming next and how my plan is being adapted for timing. New graphics will also be up soon to reflect the progress and the next step in this journey, so don't forget to check back.

But first, today's Easter (Happy Easter, to those who celebrate, and a lovely Sunday to those who don't!) and I'm nursing a migraine, so I'm gonna make some dinner with my little one and we're gonna settle in for a living-room picnic and a (hopefully quiet) movie.


*song lyric from "Free to Be Me," Francesca Battistelli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like this post? Let me know!